Skip to main content

The Story Behind the Song

Last week we sang an updated version of the old hymn, It Is Well With My Soul.
As I sang the familiar words I recalled the story behind them.

The song was penned by a Chicago businessman named Horatio G. Spafford.
He suffered great financial losses due to the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 and while still grieving over the loss, the previous year, of their son he decided a vacation might be desirable.

He booked passage for his wife and four daughters and planned to follow them to England to hear D. L. Moody preach.  But, before his departure date the ship carrying his wife and daughters was struck by another vessel and sank.
Spafford received a cable from his wife saying, "Saved alone".

He sailed on the next ship for England and after seeing the supposed place of the tragedy Spafford began writing the hymn.

God's grace always abounds toward us, but often in times of great trial and loss it literally envelops us and somehow hope floods our aching hearts.   Somehow the old hymns capture this truth and resonate with our sorrows.

Do you love the great old hymns?
Find the full version of the story above and many more like it in this book still available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Year-Book-Hymns/dp/0842350721/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380574785&sr=1-1&keywords=the+one+year+book+of+hymns



More at:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_with_My_Soul 
It Is Well With My Soul(Original lyrics)[1]When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to know,aIt is well, it is well, with my soul.
Refrain:It is well, (it is well),
With my soul, (with my soul)
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life,
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
But Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul.
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
A song in the night, oh my soulb
Peace like a river~
Don't think of some gently flowing late summer river.
No.
Instead ask for a gushing torrent of peace.
May this picture of a Springtime rushing Canadian river will be your prayer inspiration when next you need Peace Like a River.

  
 
 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  John 14:27

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30,000 PROMISES

There are said to be thirty thousand promises made  to the child of God, but they are of no more value  to  us than statements in the newspaper if we  do  not  personally appropriate them. J. Oswald Sanders, Spiritual Maturity PROMISE #1 I came across this sentence about two weeks ago and it has resurfaced in my thoughts again and again.  Yesterday I calculated that if I found 4.5 promises every single day I could find all 30,000 if I lived to be 80 years old.   How many promises support our lives every single day?  I don't know the number, but wouldn't be surprised if it were in the hundreds. Promises that reveal God's: PERSON PLAN PRESENCE POWER PROVISION PURPOSES PROTECTION PATIENCE There are literally thousands of promises that reveal His NATURE, LOVE, GRACE, MERCY, and FORGIVENESS. We, His children by faith, are supported and graced by the promises God has given us. Every day I want to find as many promises as possible. 

You Know You're in Africa When. . .

You know you're in Africa when color is everywhere  and small children are carried in a sling on Mom's  back.  This cloth, used all over Africa,  is the original "hands free" device .    You know you're in Africa when the mother and baby goat are part of the checked luggage that rides on top of the bus.  Gary says he has never seen them held in with ropes , it may be a new traffic regulation.      You know you're in Africa when the local Record store is called Beautiful Jesus Music.  You know you're in Africa when the oncoming traffic has horns and knows how to use them.   You know you're in Africa when the goats eat the park bench. You know you're in Africa when  the ants make a hill taller than your car. And finally, you know you're in Africa when the clouds look like they've been created in Photo Shop. But they weren't:)

What God Can Do with Our Life Messes

High School Memories He has  made everything beautiful in its time.     Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot  find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.    Ecclesiastes 3:11 I happened to see this photo this morning on a friend's Facebook timeline.   That's me on the far right cheering on the JV football team. I made a mess of my life early on. Looking back at that photo and others from a yearbook I see so many missed opportunities. But, looking at my life now I see what God has done with the mess I made. I see how He was present in guiding and directing my path to Him. His light shining down into my darkness illuminating the way. The girl next to me once invited me to a youth camp.   Two days before the camp my cousins arrived for a visit and my Mom said I couldn't go. Would I have met God then and changed the course of my life? Well, we don't know the answers to questions like that, but I d