Skip to main content

A HEART CHECK-UP

A DIVIDED HEART




What's going on in your heart today?

One of the many benefits of a Quiet Time, or a Morning Devotion, is the opportunity it gives us to hear from God about our heart condition.  According to Paul, all of us suffer from Chronic Heart Disease (Romans 7:23).  As Christians we are each a new creation in Christ, but we still live in an earthly body and are subject to the influences of our fallen nature---which Paul calls, the OLD MAN.


This morning I was slogging through Hosea 9-11 in my daily reading.  
It's a little depressing reading about the spiritual failures, the whorings, of Israel that resulted in their captivity and ruin.
BUT---it is also instructive.

Proverbs 4:23 has some excellent advice for each of us:
 Keep your heart with all vigilance,  for from it flow the springs of life.


When the Bible talks about our hearts it doesn't mean the organ that pumps blood throughout our bodies.  It means that part of us that is the repository of our thoughts, affections, and volition (our will---the part of us that makes choices). 

Vigilant means, keeping careful watch for possible danger or difficulties.
So Proverbs is telling us to be vigilant about all that influences our thoughts, our affections, and our choices.

Here's a little section from my reading this morning:

Israel empties his vine;

He brings forth fruit for himself.
According to the multitude of his fruit
He has increased the altars;
According to the bounty of his land
They have embellished his sacred pillars.
 
Their heart is divided;
Now they are held guilty.
He will break down their altars;
He will ruin their sacred pillars.
Hosea 10:1-2

'Their heart is divided' sent up a red flag.  
That's the point of real spiritual danger for you and for me.

This world---it's philosophy and it's temptations will always be appealing to our OLD MAN.   

Israel's downfall can be traced back to greed.  
They weren't satisfied with what God had given.  
They began to worship the idols of those around them who prospered.
God said they had gone after gain on every threshing floor.  

We know from the story of the Temptation of Christ that Satan has control over worldly prosperity and success and can give it to those he chooses.

The ease of prosperity and the seductive power of man's approval are just so attractive to our OLD MAN. 
It's the stuff his dreams are made of.

Jesus gave us a little advice about our hearts in Matthew 6:21-22
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine 
eye be singlethy whole body shall be full of light.

The idea of a single as used here is also undivided.
Having just one thing in view.
Having your eyes on just one thing.
A single focus

Elijah pointed out their heart problems to the people of Israel when he had the contest with the prophets of Baal on Mt. Carmel.


1 Kings 18:21

And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.

  • A single focus
  • A solid choice
  • An undivided heart

Every morning you and I get a chance to answer.
Every morning we get a chance to tell God He's the one we believe.
He's the one we choose.
He's the one we love.

Every morning we have a chance to let God search our hearts and know our anxious thoughts and see if there's any wicked way in us---and lead us in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24


You and I made a choice, maybe long ago, to turn away from the stuff of the world and follow Jesus.  Sometimes, though,  we look back and see little parts of that life through rose colored glasses.  We rewrite our own history and edit out the unwanted portions all the while clinging to things that we once decided to forsake.

Two things come to mind this morning:

  1. Remember Lot's wife.  This woman will forever stand as the example of one rescued by God's grace who just couldn't let go of the desire for her old life.
  2. The invitation from the Lover of our souls.  My beloved spoke, and said to me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.  Song of Solomon 2:10











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30,000 PROMISES

There are said to be thirty thousand promises made  to the child of God, but they are of no more value  to  us than statements in the newspaper if we  do  not  personally appropriate them. J. Oswald Sanders, Spiritual Maturity PROMISE #1 I came across this sentence about two weeks ago and it has resurfaced in my thoughts again and again.  Yesterday I calculated that if I found 4.5 promises every single day I could find all 30,000 if I lived to be 80 years old.   How many promises support our lives every single day?  I don't know the number, but wouldn't be surprised if it were in the hundreds. Promises that reveal God's: PERSON PLAN PRESENCE POWER PROVISION PURPOSES PROTECTION PATIENCE There are literally thousands of promises that reveal His NATURE, LOVE, GRACE, MERCY, and FORGIVENESS. We, His children by faith, are supported and graced by the promises God has given us. Every day I want to find as many promises as possible. 

You Know You're in Africa When. . .

You know you're in Africa when color is everywhere  and small children are carried in a sling on Mom's  back.  This cloth, used all over Africa,  is the original "hands free" device .    You know you're in Africa when the mother and baby goat are part of the checked luggage that rides on top of the bus.  Gary says he has never seen them held in with ropes , it may be a new traffic regulation.      You know you're in Africa when the local Record store is called Beautiful Jesus Music.  You know you're in Africa when the oncoming traffic has horns and knows how to use them.   You know you're in Africa when the goats eat the park bench. You know you're in Africa when  the ants make a hill taller than your car. And finally, you know you're in Africa when the clouds look like they've been created in Photo Shop. But they weren't:)

What God Can Do with Our Life Messes

High School Memories He has  made everything beautiful in its time.     Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot  find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.    Ecclesiastes 3:11 I happened to see this photo this morning on a friend's Facebook timeline.   That's me on the far right cheering on the JV football team. I made a mess of my life early on. Looking back at that photo and others from a yearbook I see so many missed opportunities. But, looking at my life now I see what God has done with the mess I made. I see how He was present in guiding and directing my path to Him. His light shining down into my darkness illuminating the way. The girl next to me once invited me to a youth camp.   Two days before the camp my cousins arrived for a visit and my Mom said I couldn't go. Would I have met God then and changed the course of my life? Well, we don't know the answers to questions like that, but I d